[OM] Re: The Gimp file sizes

Subject: [OM] Re: The Gimp file sizes
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:57:33 +0800
I'm very intereted on getting smaller and good quality JPEG so I download
GIMP for a trial. I'm not a fan of any software, as long as they are good I
will use it. Here is the result I got, may be there are some tricky setting
in GIMP that I don't know yet, I see little different between PS7, InfanView
and GIMP in quality of compression (for similar file size) even veiw at
300%, here is what I got:

http://www.accura.com.hk/PS_resample.tif   (800x600 740K)

The above is the original file for all the compression tests below.

http://www.accura.com.hk/PS8.jpg   (PS saved JPEG with level 8)

http://www.accura.com.hk/IV90.jpg (Infan View saved quality 90)

http://www.accura.com.hk/GMIP90.jpg (GIMP saved quality 90)

http://www.accura.com.hk/GMIP2_90.jpg (GIMP saved quality 90, subsampling
1x1,1x1,1x1)

Don't know what subsampling do but just try.

http://www.accura.com.hk/GMIP90s.jpg (GIMP saved quality 90 & smoothing 0.5)

The last one is obviously soft and only reduce the file size a little bit.

If there are any good setting that let me compress the file to smaller size
and still got good result just let me know.

C.H.Ling