[OM] Re: [photos] OT (taken with digital camera)

Subject: [OM] Re: [photos] OT (taken with digital camera)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 03:54:45 -0700
R. Jackson wrote:

>Another excellent point. So what that really means, in a practical
>sense, is that whichever camera has the least noisy performance at
>high sensitivity is going to be the most usable camera

What I mean is that the camera with the lowest noise at high isos, and
which also is comfortable to use and meets my other criteria, is the
best one for me.

> and that  strikes a recognizable analog to faster glass at the other end of
> the
>equation in way that makes sense to me. So what camera sensor is the
>cleanest at 3200?

Within the realms of what I consider reasonable price, that would be the
Can*n 20D, which is actually quite usable at 3200. Take a look at smaple
#18 <http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gallery=canoneos20d_samples/>. the
bigger sensor Can*ns are also very good. I don't know about the best
Nik*ns, but I don't think they are quite as good in this particular area.

>None of which changes the fact that the 7D has a really cool user
>interface. I walked into a camera shop here in town and said, "Holy
>hell, they've started selling cameras again!" ;-)

Agreed. You gotta be comfortable with the camera.

Moose