[OM] Re: C-97 (really, really OT)

Subject: [OM] Re: C-97 (really, really OT)
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 21:37:59 +0100
That's interesting, thanks Bill.

 From my experience, the KC135 is a workhorse, but it has crappy
engines, smoky and thirsty.  Some have been upgraded, but many of the
Guard machines are the horrid old ones.  Worst of all, its single
refuelling point has quite a limited range of movement for the boom
and it is really easy to fall off it if the light is wrong to see the
flight director lights.

The KC10, on the other hand, is a majestic beast with loads of fuel
and lovely lights at night.  Its boom's range of movement is huge,
and its controls are so large that it can fly small jets around with
ease while they are connected.

In short, don't give me no stinking toboggan.  Refuelling from a boom
(staying in the range of movement) is difficult enough as it is.
Now, although a probe and drogue system (as used by the RAF and the
USN) is more difficult to connect with, as the drogue can get quite
skittish in the bow wave of the receiver aircraft, it is much easier
to fly once connected.

Chris
~~ >-)-
C M I Barker