[OM] Re: konica-Minolta/Sony deal

Subject: [OM] Re: konica-Minolta/Sony deal
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:38:15 -0400
I think Walt was just emphasizing your point.  For the guy who thinks MP3's
sound like real music an 8MP phone-cam probably makes real pictures.  It
will be pretty tough to convince him he should schlepp around a 2 pound
wonderbrick.  It might work if the marketers can turn it into a status
symbol but camera marketers have a long way to go.

Maybe MP3's do the job because the current generation has had their ear
drums blown by pounding base by the time they're 13.  They probably
literally can not hear the difference.  Maybe they can still see the
difference with the camera but they're unlikely to pause long enough to
check it out.

As I was writing this I was recalling the words of a software development
manager friend of mine. I told him a couple of years ago that I was getting
out of software and hardware development and going to concentrate solely on
photography.  He looked at me incredulously and asked how there could be any
business left for a professional photographer when everybody had a digital
camera.

Chuck Norcutt