[OM] Pentax profits fall by 42%

Subject: [OM] Pentax profits fall by 42%
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:39:17 -0400
From: <http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05071903pentax_profitsfall.asp>

Pentax profits fall by 42%

Pentax has announced that its profits fell by 42% in the fiscal first
quarter, compared to the previous year, reports the International Herald
Tribune. Net income fell to ¥261m (US$2.32) from ¥448m (US$3.97m) the
previous year. The loss is blamed on ever decreasing profit margins on
compact digital cameras and the company says it plans to focus on the "more
profitable single-lens reflex digital camera to offset price declines in
compact types" as well as "raise the pace of new model introductions to
three per year from two, starting this year," says Fumio Urano, Pentax
president. Urano said that the company will also cut 300 jobs in the next
two years.

Remind me not to invest in Pentax.  Fumio Urano's solution to raise the pace
of new product introductions (let's make even more of these unprofitable
units) sounds like the perfect prescription for chasing your tail.  Sounds
to me like they'll be talking about more than 300 folks this time next year.

What happens when there are 16 million pixels on the head of a pin selling
for 10 Yen?  Will any marketer ever discuss the quality of a pixel?

Chuck Norcutt