[OM] Re: konica-Minolta/Sony deal

Subject: [OM] Re: konica-Minolta/Sony deal
From: Earl Dunbar <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:28:39 -0400
R. Jackson wrote:

>Well, I think most of us grew up in Tupperware houses. It's not like
>consumerism is new to us. It's just that we used to hang on to the
>stuff for a while.

The current issue of Tricycle (Buddhist review) has an article whose
theme is "just stop shopping!'  Those who love OMs know the longevity of
a purchase, but that damned eBay is there, and our desire keeps us going
to it.  Maybe a good thing for Zuikoholism, and certainly conforms to
the "re-use" component of "reduce, re-use, recycle".  But for the long
term feeding of the soul, which really feeds on beauty (the photo)
rather than the having?

>Now it's all about what gadget is hot "this
>season" and then the stuff ends up on eB@y. Nobody has the patience
>to accumulate some nice glass and figure out how each lens best works
>with what you do. They want one lens that zooms from fisheye to
>1000mm and they want it in a package the size of a Chesterfield pack
>and they want it to tell them when their diaper needs changing and
>remind them when to change to Daylight Savings Time.

And the brain atrophies, I think.

>>Maybe MP3's do the job because the current generation has had their
>>ear
>>drums blown by pounding base by the time they're 13.  They probably
>>literally can not hear the difference.  Maybe they can still see the
>>difference with the camera but they're unlikely to pause long
>>enough to
>>check it out.
>>

>There was an issue of Stereophile a few months back where they were
>testing the Mark Levinson stereo system in a new Lexus. The Levinson
>factory rep was interviewed for the article and he said something
>about how they had to exaggerate the bass a little because car stereo
>shoppers expect that these days. I kept wondering why they didn't
>voice the system flat and then pre-load EQ curves for "Ghetto" or
>whatever, but apparently that's not even a concern anymore.
>
>Kids these days would never understand the kind of stuff we went
>through, though. I used to put a new album on and try to capture the
>best performance of that album I could on a high-speed 3 3/4"-per-
>second cassette deck running outboard dbx so I'd have a "perfect"
>cassette of the album to listen to around the house. Nobody has the
>patience for that kind of stuff anymore. Their entertainment can be
>content-free as long as it's available on-demand and can be quickly
>ripped into a portable device.

Yeah, but my daughter loves her iPod Shuffle, and also loves her OM-2.
She works a few hours in a restaurant, and when she engages in
conversation with customers about her Olympus, those in the know say
something like "Ahh.... A classic!", and she feels even better about the
images she's producing.  It's a mixed bag; I agree that overall it's
somewhat frustrating, but if we do what we can in our own world...

Earl