[OM] Review revision and bulk ink notes

Subject: [OM] Review revision and bulk ink notes
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 07:52:23 -0700 (PDT)
The E-1 review underwent a few revisions.  There are additional
comments about the viewfinder and monitor as well as a couple
other notes or clarifications here and there.

I had finally converted over to bulk MIS inks for my Canon S9000
printer. Just in time, too.  Over the past five days I've
printed over 500 pictures on the S9000.  (plus around a hundred
pictures in the chemical darkroom--whew, this is work!)

The colorcast isn't exactly Canon Ink--it does require a little
bit of custom profiling, but the quality is just fine and it
doesn't do wierd things on the paper.

Refilling Canon cartridges is an interesting operation, but
relatively easy.  The instructions that came from MIS are
worthless--guaranteed to make a horrible mess. NeilShade's
instructions are a little better, but woefully incomplete.
Basically, you're on your own.  I now have a greater
understanding of the design of those tanks.  Anyway, after
losing five dollars worth of ink on the first one, I engineered
my own methodology.  In essence, forget the little plugs they
send--they don't work.  I used my cordless drill and a hot-glue
gun.  I'll get into details later, but one thing to make note of
is the need to make the hole just large enough that the ink
doesn't bubble up and flow all over your table.  If you make the
hole too small, ink goes everywhere, if it's too large, you
can't get it plugged back up.  MIS's instructions on preloading
the sponge area is absolutely necessary, otherwise the tank
level drops rapidly and it also drains out on the table in
seconds--even with the outlet blocked with your finger.  Anyway,
you shoot the ink into the tank and quickly apply a small blob
of hot-glue over the hole. Suction will pull some of the glue
into the hole forming a tight seal.  I did find that when doing
another refill, I had to drill out the glue as it didn't lift
out when I peeled the glue away.  Maybe it will with a slightly
larger hole.  I've gotten it down to losing three or four big
drops of ink during a refill.  Oh, do all your work on waxed
paper.  Cleanup is easy and you'll need about one paper towel
per tank.

Anyway, bulk ink is the way to go.  I went through a total of 11
tanks worth of ink in three days.  The starter kit costs about
$45 and paid for itself in just a few hours.  And, of the photo
magenta and photo cyan (the highest usage colors), I still have
half my bulk ink left.  In otherwords, 11 tanks worth of ink (11
x $12 = $132) cost me about $15.  I wish I could have converted
two years ago!!!!  I could have bought two E-1s.

Now, if I can just find a low-cost seller of Ilford Galerie
Classic...

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com