[OM] Re: Soligar 35-70 Zoom

Subject: [OM] Re: Soligar 35-70 Zoom
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:14:32 -0400
Stephen Walker wrote:

> Three of the lenses i'm selling are third-party.  A
> CPC 28mm, A Tokina 80-200, and a Soligar 35-70.  No
> bids on any of 'em yet, but SIX people put the Soligar
> Zoom on their watch list, while nobody seems to be
> interested in the other two.
>
> Is there something about this lens I don't know? I
> mean, it looks like a nice lens:  It's fast (f2.5/3.5)
> and has a seperate macro-extension ring.  But, I never
> really used it -- I bought it used with a camera body
> and I've never cared much for 35-70 zooms in general
> (I'd rather just have a 28mm and 50mm prime).

Are you sure it's a Solig-A-r or is it a Solig-O-r?  The speed and
separate macro ring identify it to me as a Soligor "CD" lens.  The "CD"
designation on Soligor lenses indicated a premium lens and was Soligor's
answer to Vivitar's "Series 1" designation.

I know about this lens since I happen to have one.  I only know that
it's a "CD" lens since it says so on the box.  Fortunately, there's also
a picture of the lens and the specs (including MTF graphs) on the box
otherwise I wouldn't know that the box and the lens go together.  I
think the Soligor marketers screwed up on this lens by not marking the
lens itself as "CD" as "CD" in those days also meant a premium price.

Anyhow, it is unusual for its speed and that the macro range goes all
the way down to 1:2.7 which was unusual for the day.

The build quality is excellent but I can't tell you how it actually
performs.  I've probably owned it for 10 years and have never taken a
photo with it.  I have way too many lenses that cover that focal range.
  I should give it a try sometime.

If you're interested, I have a scan of one side of the box with the
specs and MTF graphs.  It's a JPEG of about 110KB.  Contact me off list
if you'd like a copy.

Hope this helps,
Chuck Norcutt