[OM] Re: ilford xp2 super 400 asa or 100 asa?

Subject: [OM] Re: ilford xp2 super 400 asa or 100 asa?
From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:21:36 +0930
Cc: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
At 5:48 PM -0700 2005.07.18, AG Schnozz wrote:

>Hmm.  You REALLY want my opinion?
>

>I find overexposed XP2 a thing of horror to print well in the
>chemical darkroom. ...
>
>In the chemical darkroom, chromogenic films are a lot harder to
>use than traditional B&W films. The gamma is off.

Do you mean something like the negative cf print scans I have here:

  http://www.cs.adelaide.edu.au/users/andrew/photos/XP2/

noting the overall "greyness" on the print? Looks almost as if the print
has been slightly fogged.

> To correct
>the gamma, we have to resort to all sorts of nasty tricks that
>cannot be told in the presence of small children.

Well I'm pretty broadminded. I'll try anything once. :)

I figured the cause was my poor technique, and went on to Delta 100 (noting
that my total darkroom experience is three months but catching up fast; this
was one of my first attempts at a print). I'm having a good time with Delta 100.

Would like to return to this one at some point though. All I could think of
is to try a higher contrast grade (this is Ilford RC MGIV at grade 3). Might
that help?

thanks for any advice
  Andrew