[OM] Re: Best guess for arrival of E-2/E-3

Subject: [OM] Re: Best guess for arrival of E-2/E-3
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:26:45 -0400
Robert Swier wrote:

> I like to make prints at a local lab that uses an AgfaPhoto
> d-lab.2plus printer, which prefers images to be at 400dpi, and I feel
> comfortable going down to around 300dpi.

I sure don't understand "prefers images to be at 400 dpi".

I think you're pursuing an unnecessarily high standard.  One that may,
in fact, be beyond the ability of your eyes to see it.  3 line pairs/mm
is a fair standard for the eye's ability to resolve detail at a reading
distance of 10".  That's only about 150 dpi.

Before spending large sums of money on a 16 MP full frame DSLR I would
encourage you to get some of your existing images printed at the same
size and crop but at 150, 200, 250 and 300 dpi and see if you can tell
the difference.  You might be very surprised.

Then do the same with some of the contributed E-1 images.  Don't be
surprised if the digital images from the (only 5MP) E-1 surpass your
scanned film images.

BTW, you do not need TIFF images.  JPEG's will be just fine for printing
as long as you don't continually edit, save and reload the image.  And
resolution is not the only criterion for a good image.

Chuck Norcutt