[OM] My photo is famous !

Subject: [OM] My photo is famous !
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 00:34:15 +0100
Hi everyone,

Just had to share my moment of pride !!  This evening, between 7:40pm
and 8pm UK time, one of my photos was used fairly extensively on a major
news programme.  OK, so it was Dutch TV so I didn't get to see it, but
I'm still proud of it.  The story goes like this ..

I work as an engineer for a Television Studios company based just
outside London.  At about 5pm today we got a call from a Dutch
broadcaster to ask if we could do them a favour.  A Dutch professor was
in London and they wanted to interview him as an insert in their news
programme - something to do with today's events in London.  He was at a
book signing until 7pm, so we were the only TV studio local enough for
him to get to in time.  And they wanted it at 7:30pm !!

Now usually with this sort of thing there will either be some kind of
backdrop, or the production company will provide some kind of image to
electronically put behind the presenter (called "chromakey" for the
tech-heads, or "blue-screen" to give it it's more common name).  This
being very much a last-minute thing that the broadcaster in Holland
organised as a response to today's attempted bombings, there was no such
backdrop or image.  With time running out, and most of our staff already
gone home, one of my colleagues started trawling the web for
copyright-free images we could use as a background - the requirement
being that it was a suitable image of London.  The copyright problems
really had us stumped, as this is usually sorted out weeks in advance by
the production company, until I remembered my Tope 15 entry !

So my Tope 15 entry was lifted directly from the Tope website, uploaded
into our vision mixer, and used as the background for a 5 or 10 minute
piece into the news programme on a Dutch TV channel called (I think)
something like "Channel 1".  If any Dutch listees saw the interview with
the Dutch professor of explosives, at around 7:40 to 8pm UK time this
evening, then the background image of Tower Bridge was mine, and can
also be found here . http://www.millennics.com/olympus/tope/gallery.html

And no, I didn't get a fee.  I was just happy that my photo was being
used !

And for those who were there, it was taken on one of the OM list-members
gatherings in London, summer (august ?) 2003.  And taken with an OM-2n.

Right, got to go to sleep now.  Lots more work to do tomorrow !

Jon