[OM] Re: The Gimp file sizes

Subject: [OM] Re: The Gimp file sizes
From: Nils Frohberg <nilsf@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:51:58 +0200
On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Andrew Dacey wrote:
> On 7/16/05, Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > No other program I have at my disposal does that and also retains a very
> > good degree of sharpness and fidelity to colours etc.
>
> I think I've already mentioned this before but I'll send it again. I
> haven't used The Gimp very much but I do use ImageMagick for my jpeg
> conversion. I like to batch convert my full-size TIFF files into jpeg
> files of various sizes for my website. I wrote up a perl script that
> uses ImageMagick (which has great Perl tools btw) to handle the batch
> processing. I've been amazed by the the quality I can get with this
> while still getting a very small file.

I also use a Perl script to convert my TIFF files to web-sized JPEGs.
ImageMagick is a great tool for this, especially since you can vary
between different scaling algorithms. I can post a comparison of
ImageMagick's scaling algos if anyone is interested. You really don't
want to use bicubic (as in PS).

Read the TIFF, scale with Lanczos, write JPEG, scale down to thumbnail
size, write another JPEG, add to HTML file. That's all there is to it :)

Nils