[OM] Re: More Fuel on the Film/Digital Dialogue

Subject: [OM] Re: More Fuel on the Film/Digital Dialogue
From: R.Jackson <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:24:22 -0700
This seems like a very apt analogy to me. My earliest experience with
a digital camera was in '98 while working on a magazine article in
Australia and New Zealand. I was with this band and the band's label
wanted daily web images from the stops on their tour. The band had
already decided that their own guy was going to take all the photos
and that any images captured during the course of me writing the
article should be available to them on a daily basis for their web
page. They provided their photographer with an Olympus D-500L for the
job. I'd never used a digital camera before and after the first night
I sat looking at the images on the screen of my old Compaq P133
thinking, "These look like video capture." I'd mess with them in
Photoshop trying to make them look more like "real" photographs, but
they kept on looking like video capture. In the end the magazine
couldn't use any of the photos and substituted photos from an
American concert that had been shot on 35mm by a staff photographer.
The band's web page was using tiny postage-stamp-sized images and
seemed perfectly happy.

As the years have passed the resolution and latitude have improved
considerably, but digital images still seem to look like video and
film still seems to look like film. There are guys like Andreas
Gursky who really push the limits of digital. His exhibit at the San
Francisco Museum of Modern Art a couple of years ago knocked me out.
I have no idea what kind of equipment he uses, but some of those wall-
sized prints that were on display contained so much detail that I'd
get dizzy looking at them. There's still that slightly video-esque
quality to them, though.

"They're just different" seems to pretty much sum it up.