[OM] Re: More Fuel on the Film/Digital Dialogue

Subject: [OM] Re: More Fuel on the Film/Digital Dialogue
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:39:35 -0700
R. Jackson wrote:

>I'm not sure it was going to help all that much. ;-)
>
>http://home.comcast.net/~jackson.robert.r/PIC00167.tif
>
>On Jul 23, 2005, at 5:45 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>

>>I've never tried it myself but I think a little random noise would
>>simulate grain and make it look a bit more like film.
>>
>>Chuck Norcutt

I don't think electronic noise will ever look like film grain. I'm no
expert in the alternate technique, but I have played with it a little.

What one does is to scan a blank frame of film, then use that scan as a
semi-transparent layer over the digi image. Here are some different
treatments of your sample
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Grain/>. With the one where I
added a lot of grain, it did things I didn't like in the shadows. In the
last one, I used a threshold layer to create a mask to limit the grain
effect to the brighter areas only. This is only quick, rough work, but
should give you an idea of the many possibilities.

Grain, by the way, is from AGFA Vista, because that's what I first found
with some blank frame area. I tried both exposed and unexposed frames,
adjusting the exposure in the scan and got someehat different grain
effects. I then played a bit with levels, curves, sharpening, greyscale,
bitmap. There are a lot of different looking grain patterns available
from just one source. One could even take the grain of a favorite B&W
film and put it in a color image.

Moose