[OM] Re: More Fuel on the Film/Digital Dialogue

Subject: [OM] Re: More Fuel on the Film/Digital Dialogue
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:57:04 -0700
bs.pearce@xxxxxxx wrote:

>The difference between anything that
>printed on photo paper and an inkjet printer of any kind was easily visible.
>I looked at all of these with an 8x loupe, and it sure burst my bubble!

OK, I'll bite. Why? Unless you are making prints to be viewed through an
8x loupe? :-)

All that tests is the resolution of the print process. It doesn't say
what is in the image file. Nor does it say what will come out when the
same file is printed larger, since the limiting factor is the effective
detail the printer can resolve per mm on paper. With a bigger print, the
absolute resolving power on paper won't be any better under a loupe, but
the image will be magnified more, so the actual image detail resolved
will increase at the same apparent size to the eye.

Say you have very high resolution in the source image, and print it at
2x2.5 and view it through an 8x loupe. If you then print it at 16x20,
and view the same area as the loupe covered with the naked eye,, you
will see much more detail in the same area of the original image than
you did on the small print with an 8x loupe.

So to me, viewing through an 8x loupe doesn't tell me anything of value,
since I make prints to be viewed with the naked eye.

Moose