[OM] Re: acratech ballhead

Subject: [OM] Re: acratech ballhead
From: "Daniel Sepke" <dan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 11:34:42 -0400
Not wishing to argue with you Walt but the Markins heads are not
significantly lighter nor are they cheaper than the Acratech. There is a $60
and $110 price increase comparing the M-10 and M-20 to the Acratech. The
weight difference is a matter of +/- 100 or so grams, which for me
personally is not an issue. The design of the Markins heads are also much
closer to the traditional ball head construction (i.e. Arca-Swiss). I
suspect that it is just another case where we pick the tool that works best
for us. I do not doubt the Markins heads are just as high quality as the
Acratech. I am glad they work well for you.

Dan S.

From: olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Walter Tani
Subject: [OM] acratech ballhead

I looked at the acratech, but a friend was selling 2 markins ballheads, and
M20 and an M10, both NIB at the time; so I bought both of them after doing a
little research.  The markins are made in south korea, and their weight
carrying capacity is greater than or equal to the acratech, but at the same
time, they weigh significantly less than the acratechs.  They also cost
less.   When I got the markins' ballheads, I was very pleasantly surprised.
Quality is outstanding, very predictable for creep and preload, very easy to
use. I've not noticed any shift in frame when tightening down.  I have the
M10 set up with an RRS quick release lever clamp on top of a Gitzo 1227 and
the combination is superlight and very stable and will easily take my
400/5.6 with 2x extender and Canon 1D body.  Cheaper, stronger, lighter,
same quality or better.  What else could you ask for?
walt tani
honolulu