[OM] Re: Colour values of monitors (again)

Subject: [OM] Re: Colour values of monitors (again)
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:27:27 +0930
Hi Brian,
re the greenish cast:

Is it areas/blobs of greenish cast? if so a degauss may help. swivel the
monitor on its base 90 degrees left or right, does it change? After it's
been off for a few minutes, does it 'honk' when you turn it back on?
this is the inbuilt degauss function. You may have to access an
on-screen menu to do this on some monitors- the screen should wobble for
a few seconds in this case.

Is it greenish cast to the shadows? or the highlights? or is it a
general cast? this may be able to be adjusted out (inside) using a
greyscale pattern. When I was fixing video arcade games for a living,
these  used  to drive me crazy- with a screaming centre manager, you
soon learn how to make the whole row of 10 or 12 machines look similar.
This is an adjustment for a tech (it's 24,000 Volts in there- with 8kV
within finger brushing distance of the adjustments - it bites. Ask me
how I know ;) ) Caveat: unless the adjustments are on the back. I've
seen one monitor like this, an old Ph*l*ps (shudder).

did it change suddenly? this could be a component degrading prior to
failure.

Also watch out for confusing green for cyan or yellow, which could
suggest a lack of red or blue rather than an excess of green. This is a
common error encountered in tv servicing.

Compare the lappy & the monitor side by side,  but beware, this way lies
madness ;)  the LCD's can yellow a bit as the backlight & panel  age,
but stand a much better chance of being closer to 'white' than an aging
CRT.

Don't adjust it while sitting in a room lit by tungsten - daylight is
best, flouro's are barely acceptable. Your eyes will tell you lies about
white!

one last thing, make sure the VGA cable to the video card  is fully
seated, wiggle it gently to see if the cast changes - there's one on the
bench at work with an overall pink cast because of a dodgy connector.

good luck,
davidt