[OM] Re: How to number Olympus limited addition images

Subject: [OM] Re: How to number Olympus limited addition images
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:52:25 -0300
On 7/26/05, NSURIT@xxxxxxx <NSURIT@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Two questions:
>
> 1) What is a reasonable number of prints to do in a "limited  edition?"  I
> was thinking something like somewhere between 100-250.

Having no experience myself in selling prints I can't really comment
from my own experience. From what I've read though, it's mainly a game
of trying to figure out what's a reasonable number to sell without
doing so many that it seems to depreciate the value of it being a
limited edition. I imagine somewhere in this figuring you have to
consider the shot as well as some shots may be more saleable than
others and you wouldn't want to end up running out of prints for a hot
seller or being left with a lot of extra prints left over (granted the
later is assuming you do the full edition at once and then try to sell
them).

> 2) When signing the print, where would the number go?  Title - number  -
> signature - date or Title - signature - number or ????.
>
> What I've been doing is Title on the left and signature with year of
> production on the right.  so it might look like this.
>
> "First  Light"                                                 Bill Barber '05
>
> So, where does the 76/250 go and should I continue to put the date after my
> signature?  Bill Barber

For some reason, I have the idea that the 76/250 should go after the
date, not really sure why though. I suppose after the title would be
the other logical place to put it. I'd continue to date the prints as
this establishes when the work was done. It allows people to look at
different prints in the future and compare how your style and work has
changed or progressed (I suppose declined is another possibility but
let's stay optimistic).