[OM] Re: opinions: external battery power for the E-1 FL-50 flash

Subject: [OM] Re: opinions: external battery power for the E-1 FL-50 flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:04:57 -0400
I know I've posted about this item before but there is one other option
you may not know about.  The Quantum compatible SP Systems power pack.
BTW, don't ask the SP Systems distributor about any of this.  Their
sales folk seem to be unaware of Quantum as a competitor or that this
pack has been specifically built by the manufacturer to be Quantum
compatible.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&b=288&shs=SP+systems+power+pack&ci=1&ac=&Submit.x=10&Submit.y=9&Submit=Go>

At $123.95 from B&H it's hard to beat on price/performance.
Operationally, it is identical to the Quantum Turbo and uses Quantum
Turbo cables so it automatically supports all the same flash units.  You
could actually use the user's guides interchangeably.  I sometimes use
my SP Systems pack with a Quantum "Y" cable to power both a Sunpak 522
and 422 at the same time or two T-32's at the same time.  Recycle time
is about the same a the Turbo.  My pack will recycle a Sunpak 522 or one
of the T-32's in about 1-1/2 seconds (near as I can measure)

It's somewhat larger and heavier than the Quantum Turbo but that's
because, instead of Quantum's proprietary battery, the SP Systems pack
has a standard, user changeable Panasonic VHS camcorder style 2.3 amp
hour lead acid battery whereas the Quantum has a 1.7 amp hours lead acid
battery.  When the Quantum is recharging it's out of commission because
the charger attaches to the power pack.  So does the SP Systems pack but
you can purchase an extra battery for as low as $20 and precharge it.
Since it offers easy interchangeability you can just pop out the weak
battery and pop in the charged one.  I've never bought a replacement
battery since I've only ever run out of flash power at an event on one
occasion.  I needed about 20 more shots and finished off with the NiMH's
in the flash heads.  Incidentally, just like the T-32's the Sunpaks
don't need AA's in the flash heads to run their electronics when
attached to a high voltage supply.  Saves carrying a little weight all
night.

Are there downsides?  I haven't seen anything I'd consider significant
yet but the case is made of much thinner plastic than the Quantum and it
is a bit larger and heavier.  The Quantum is listed at 39 oz. and the SP
Systems is 48 oz or (my measurement) 51 oz in case with strap.  But it
also has more power since the difference is in a larger battery.  I
haven't been concerned about the much less rugged exterior case since
the carry case is well constructed and fairly heavily padded.

Are there upsides?  Performance and price.  Did I mention price?  A
friend just recently sent one of his two turbos back to Quantum to have
the battery replaced.  For the repair charge I could have bought a new
SP Systems pack.  Hard to beat $123.95 when the turbo goes for $389.

My two cents,
Chuck Norcutt