[OM] Re: opinions: external battery power for the E-1 FL-50 flash

Subject: [OM] Re: opinions: external battery power for the E-1 FL-50 flash
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:54:35 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> Can the battery be changed without a screwdriver?  The SP Systems pack
> only requires opening a plastic access door to slide the battery in or
> out.  No tools required.

That depends on whether or not you put the screws back in the last time you
changed the battery :-)

> I computed the 1.7 amp hour capacity from the capacity statement on
> Quantum's website which rates the battery at 20 watt hours.  I assumed
> it was likely 12 volts as is the SP Systems battery.  However, after
> looking up the spec I see the Sonnehshein/Quantum battery is only 8
> volts which gives us the 20 watt hours at 2.5 amp hours.  Rated in watt
> hours the SP Systems pack is 12 x 2.3 = 27.6 watt hours or 38% more
> capacity that the Quantum.  There has to be some benefit to justify that
> extra size and weight.

I don't think you can compare capacities based on watt hours.  The SP pack
may deliver more power because of the higher voltage, but it may also die
sooner.  What's actually more important with lead acid cells is their
ability to recover from a deep discharge (eg. forgetting to shut off the
pack!).  Deep discharging a lead acid battery is the worst thing you can
do to it.  Any MIL spec battery is required to recover (after charging) to
something like 25% of the rated capacity after being shorted for 30 days.
Sonnehshein's are MIL spec and won't leave your Quantum dead if you happen
to leave it on for an extended period of time.
                                                -mark