[OM] Re: opinions: external battery power for the E-1 FL-50 flash

Subject: [OM] Re: opinions: external battery power for the E-1 FL-50 flash
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:24:42 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 bs.pearce@xxxxxxx wrote:

> So all the warnings about not opening the pack yourself are more about
> keeping up profits?

I'm sure profit is one motivation, but they're probably also protecting
themselves from lawsuits.  There is an interconnect at the bottom of the
case which disables the circuit when it's removed so they have taken some
precautions to protect users from themselves. You should still be careful
though, the circuit does generate 300+ volts.

> Seriously, have you opened one, and is here any difficulties for one that
> has some experience with HV stuff?

Yes I've worked on a few.  Here's a quick shot of what you see when it's
removed from the case: http://olympus.dementia.org/misc/QuantumTurbo.jpg

You literally just disconnect the old battery and connect up the new one.
No soldering needed, just a small screwdriver to remove the screws holding
the case.
                                        -mark