[OM] Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)

Subject: [OM] Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:44:16 +0100
Roland wrote:

> The two things that prevent me are price and size.

What puts me off (in order of importance):

1. Obsolescence (& depreciation -- pretty much inexorably linked).
2. No proper manual focussing on digitals.
3. Quality of photos.
4. Size of equipment.
5. Cost of lenses.
6. Investment in film cameras and lenses.
7. Battery life.
8. Data storage / backup / obsolescence concerns.
9. Too many buttons for an old fart like me.

> I am surprised that I see rarely comments on these two aspects.

Price of the body is not a concern to me, particularly. Well, it
wouldn't be if it wasn't going to be obsolete in 18 months.

> The other day I played with an E-300 in our local store. It feels
> very much like plastic and it is HUGE.

I thought the same about the E-1 and E-300 when I held them. Both are
huge compared with OM. But compared with OM plus MD and zoom lens (which
effectively they have) the size difference diminishes. I don't consider
size a *major* concern, though I do often use OM without MD precisely
because of its compactness: that extra lump is not something you can
take off an E-1 or E-300....

> I do not understand why anybody would compare this camera to an
> Olympus PEN, or even to an OM-1 in terms of size or built quality.

I agree. I love the metal OM and RF cameras.

> Plus, as a personal challenge, I am trying to do less

fewer (sorry, one of the ones that really niggles me, that and grocers'
apostrophes)

> and better photos.

That's one of the reasons I like shooting with a manual camera and no
MD. Makes you concentrate...

Regards,

Simon