[OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)

Subject: [OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:58:32 -0400
I've not read the whole thread, but I thought I'd comment on this list from
my perspective.  Now I admit my perspective is tilted by owning a digital
camera that is beyond the realm of many buyers.

> Roland wrote:
>
>> The two things that prevent me are price and size.
>
> What puts me off (in order of importance):
>
> 1. Obsolescence (& depreciation -- pretty much inexorably linked).

I don't really care, as I selected a camera that will take unbelievable
photos in 10 years or 20 years.  Just because autofocus 35mm came out
doesn't mean that my OM-1 doesn't still take good pictures.

> 2. No proper manual focussing on digitals.

Huh?   My D70, D100 and D2X all are outstanding at manual focus, particuarly
with my 60Micro.

> 3. Quality of photos.

12mp? yeah, right.  Even my 6mp D70/D100 matched the quality of my 4000dpi
scans. The D2X is clearly superior.

> 4. Size of equipment.

Compared to? The D70 isn't that big. The D2X is, but compared to the
comparable 35mm body it isn't.

> 5. Cost of lenses.

Depends on your point of view. It's cost me less to get a good kit than it
would have purchasing new OM lenses in their prime.

> 6. Investment in film cameras and lenses.

Sell'em.  You'll make it up in film costs. You'll also shoot WAY more and
get instant feedback. I don't miss shooting, processing and scanning all
before I can do anything.

> 7. Battery life.

My D70 shoots close to 1000 shots on a charge.  My D2X shoots 2,200 on a
charge.  Battery life?

> 8. Data storage / backup / obsolescence concerns.

Check out your E6 is 10 years.  I maintain three copies of my keepers. Two
on disk and one on CD/DVD.  If I have to convert I will.

> 9. Too many buttons for an old fart like me.

Put it on P.  Press the shutter.  I may HAVE lots of buttons, but don't USE
a lot of buttons.  You don't have to use the navigation system, but would
you not buy a car because it has one?

My photography has improved and certainly my quantity has improved, leading
to more keepers.

I sold almost all of my 35mm and only kept what I did as shelf queens. I
doubt I'll ever shoot 35mm again, even if I only owned the D70.

Tom