[OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)

Subject: [OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:09:17 -0700 (PDT)
> Fortunately, I'm starting to see signs of
> the dials coming back, the recent M*n*lt* 7d is a good
> example, still has a lot of buttions but the layout of the
> dials for setting camera functions look nice.

There is a double-edged sword here.  The Minolta's sole dial of
old is exposure compensation.  Everything else of meaning
(shutter speed, aperture) is the same as any other modern AF
SLR/DSLR.  My A1 has a dial for selecting various modes and
settings. While very nice as it eliminates a lot of menu
surfing, it does present a slight problem when working in the
dark or needing to change several things quickly.  With the E-1
I have a drive button, ISO button, WB button and meter mode
button. With the Minolta I have a selector wheel and one button.
If I need to change the ISO, WB and Drive settings, it's
actually a little more convoluted than having seperate buttons
festooning the body.  This is especially true when shooting in
poor lighting.  It is nearly impossible to change settings by
feel. You have to look at the dial to determine which thing you
are changing.

I loaned my E-1 to somebody the other day. It took the better
part of five minutes for us to reconfigure the thing for him.
With a film-based camera I only would have needed to remove my
roll of film and hand him the camera.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com