[OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)

Subject: [OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:03:22 -0400
Comments below.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 5:43 PM

> Tom Scales wrote:
>
>> Uh, the D2X has interchangeable screens. Which one would you like?
>
> Last time we had this discussion, they didn't seem to exist. Or at least
> not in the "sensible money" range. What does this D2X cost? About an
> order of magnitude more than a good 4Ti, I'd guess.....?

Order of magnitude, with inflation, would be $20,000+.  The D2X is $4595.
Expensive, yes, but not that far off from a $1200 OM-4Ti in the 80s.

>> Hmm, do it all the time. My DLP/HDTV projector is projecting on a 10
>> foot diagonal screen. Stunning.
>
> At what resolution? Most projectors don't seem capable of more than
> 1024x768.

So?  1024x728 is more than adequate at that size.

>> All the fear of hours at the computer is wrong. A good digital image
> takes
>> CONSIDERABLY less work than a scanned 35mm image.
>
> I don't doubt it. Scanning is tedious. But I don't have to scan at all
> if I don't want to. And I don't most of the time. Apart from anything
> the results are disappointing -- I wonder why?

And I don't process what I don't want.  That's what a decent cataloging
program (virtual light table) is for!

>> Uh, where's the knob on my OM to change the ISO of the film in
>> the camera? What about the White balance?  Oh, can't do that
>> with film, can you.
>
> No, you just change the film. Or get out one of the other 9 bodies you
> could afford because you didn't buy that 12 MP digital camera!

But you CAN'T afford 9 new bodies for that price of a D2X.  It's not
reasonable to compare a new D2X to 20 year old used OM bodies.