[OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)

Subject: [OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:43:16 +0200
Le mercredi 27 Juillet 2005 22:14, Simon Worby a écrit :

> It's a bit like corks vs. screw caps. You can't risk a screw cap with a
> good wine which *should* mature in time, as nobody's ever tried it so
> nobody knows what it would do. Whereas we've had literally thousands of
> years of experience with corks.

You'd be very surprised to learn how young the cork as we know it is with
regard to wine ; not until the XIXth century was it widely employed in the
process of bottling. Before that, a piece of wood covered with tissue and
dipped in oil was the most prevalent system in use. And, oh shock, I notice a
trend in using artificial, plastic-foam made corks, in bottling white
"muscadet" spreading like a forest fire. Hopefully, Champagne is still
spared ; but how long will it stand ?

--
Manuel Viet