[OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)

Subject: [OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 01:56:30 +0200
Le jeudi 28 Juillet 2005 01:38, AG Schnozz a écrit :
> > And, oh shock, I notice a
> > trend in using artificial, plastic-foam made corks, in
> > bottling white  "muscadet" spreading like a forest fire.
>
> They're actually better. That's why.

Better, I don't know ; cheaper, that's for sure. The required wood to make
corks is becoming scarcier every day (sorry, don't know the tree name in
english).

It's also more suited to industrial process. A bad wood can corrupt a complete
batch of bottles.

But try to smell a plastic cork just after opening the bottle, and do the same
with a real cork. From the drinker's point of view, wood is better to get in
touch with the wine. Plastic cork in a bottle is like undressing a lady to
find a pushup underneath.

--
Manuel Viet