[OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)

Subject: [OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:34:53 +0100

On 28 Jul 2005, at 00:56, Manuel Viet wrote:

> Better, I don't know ; cheaper, that's for sure. The required wood
> to make
> corks is becoming scarcier every day (sorry, don't know the tree
> name in
> english).

Cork Oak.  We visited a forest in Sardinia and the trees are
beautiful.  I don't think that scarcity is a problem Manuel; the
foresters of southern Portugal will probably be put out of business
by the transfer to plastic or screw bottle-tops.
> It's also more suited to industrial process. A bad wood can corrupt
> a complete
> batch of bottles.

I understand that this is a problem, but surely everything does not
have to be perfect?

> But try to smell a plastic cork just after opening the bottle, and
> do the same
> with a real cork. From the drinker's point of view, wood is better
> to get in
> touch with the wine. Plastic cork in a bottle is like undressing a
> lady to
> find a pushup underneath.

Just so m'sieu! ;-)

Chris