[OM] Re: [OT] Re: corks

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Re: corks
From: Peter Leyssens <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:36:23 +0200

Hi,

 > And, oh shock, I notice a
> trend in using artificial, plastic-foam made corks, in bottling white
> "muscadet" spreading like a forest fire. Hopefully, Champagne is still
> spared ; but how long will it stand ?

A friend of mine whom I also respect for his 40+ years experience in
trading any kind of alcoholic beverage said the best by far is the crown
cork (is that the correct name of those metal caps with rubber inside ?)
  Regular corks just let through way too much air, and if you happen to
have the wrong vegetables near the bottle, the wine goes bad.  Wine also
evolves with a crown cork.  And anyway, in the last 10 years, wines have
been produced as to be drinkable immediately, instead of needing 5 years
to "become of age" like they used to.  Or at least that's what he claims
:)  I'm guessing the plastic corks are just a halfway solution because
people don't like the idea of popping open a bottle of wine.

Peter.