[OM] Re: Confession time...

Subject: [OM] Re: Confession time...
From: <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:57:51 -0500
> 1. Commercial Photographer:  Film costs are passed on to the
> client anyway--no hard cost savings for the photographer, just
> time and workflow improvements.  Digital is necessary for
> growing the business or even staying viable, but yields no cost
> savings.  A digital investment on top of the studio investment
> makes this a tenious business.
Finally something I know about, but suspect that many on this list will be
surprised. Most commerical shooters billed film and processing through at a
substantial discount Like $20 rolls of film. Not including processing. A lot
of profit went right out that window.

Second, although work flow may have been improved for some, it isn't for
others. If you have time to do the digital equivelent of lab work it's
great, but if your already busy, it means late nights or another employee.

Clients, especially agencies, are not receptive for paying for computer
time, and don't see the comparison to the lab work they were paying for.

Bill Pearce