[OM] Re: Confession time...

Subject: [OM] Re: Confession time...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:40:56 -0400
Remember that, just because you're "shooting" digital doesn't mean you
also have to be the "processing" lab as well.  The labs are still there
and still capable of making and correcting prints from JPEG's just like
they used to do from film.

To be sure, when it comes to digital portraits nothing will get past the
camera without at least a little bit of retouching.  And if it's a large
or particularly special print it may get printed in the studio on an
Epson 7600 or other printer.  If it's black & white it may also get some
very special handling.  But the majority of things go to the lab like
they always have.  And, although the image may have been retouched, we
don't bother with exposure correction and color balance unless it's way
off.  The lab has always known how to fix these things and are getting
paid for it.  Use the division of labor that's available.

If you want to exercise complete control and have the time to be expert
in evertyhing go ahead.  But just because you "can" doesn't mean you "must".

Chuck Norcutt