[OM] Re: Confession time...

Subject: [OM] Re: Confession time...
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:45:29 -0400
At 04:40 PM 7/28/2005 -0400, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>Remember that, just because you're "shooting" digital doesn't mean you
>also have to be the "processing" lab as well.  The labs are still there
>and still capable of making and correcting prints from JPEG's just like
>they used to do from film.
>
>To be sure, when it comes to digital portraits nothing will get past the
>camera without at least a little bit of retouching.  And if it's a large
>or particularly special print it may get printed in the studio on an
>Epson 7600 or other printer.  If it's black & white it may also get some
>very special handling.  But the majority of things go to the lab like
>they always have.  And, although the image may have been retouched, we
>don't bother with exposure correction and color balance unless it's way
>off.  The lab has always known how to fix these things and are getting
>paid for it.  Use the division of labor that's available.
>
>If you want to exercise complete control and have the time to be expert
>in evertyhing go ahead.  But just because you "can" doesn't mean you "must".
>
>Chuck Norcutt

Um, Chuck, where did you get the impression there were prints involved?
BIll and I were referring to commercial work, where you turn over original
film or digital files.  My brother hasn't done more than a half-dozen
prints in the last 20 years.  He also doesn't shoot jpegs - usually TIFF is
requried.

Steve Troy