[OM] Re: Confession time...

Subject: [OM] Re: Confession time...
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:43:35 -0400
At 08:51 AM 07/29/2005 -0400, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>Thanks.  I understand much better now.  However, it seems that with
>digital you have now absorbed some work that used to be done by the
>printer who has also lost the scanning fees.  Not quite sure how that
>transition occured.  Hope you're being compensated in some way.

Yup.  Now you got it!  Just my opinion, but I think the transition happened
this way by design, as the photographer wants to maintain control over
his/her photos.  When the printer did the drum scan, the final result was
as dependent on the printer's scanning technique as the photographer's
talents.  That could be good or bad.  Now, the photographer has much more
control over the image.  It's also why commercial photographers have a
higher day rate for digital than for film.

Steve Troy