[OM] Re: Confession time...

Subject: [OM] Re: Confession time...
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:42:19 -0700
Yes, but he thought large and medium format was necessary for his
work before he dumped it for digital. It seemed like he thought there
was an equivalence there.

  Personally, I agree with you. The removable back would be an
improvement in absolute terms, although not to an equivalent amount.
I don't think the makers of backs have learned all the secrets of a
Canon, which has several generations under their belt. Some of
Reichmann's tests of backs just over a year ago showed amazing amounts
(to me) of noise in their images compared to the EOS sensor. Like
that new Fuji sensor the real breakthroughs will come from the makers
of small sensors. It may be why the Kodak was chosen by Phase One as
its sensor supplier.

I think the equipment he had before was overkill as well. Many of
these publication decisions have as much to do with arbitrariness of
the customer as anything else. Film size and its ease of being
examined on a light table has been replaced by an arbitrary file size
and being examined on a monitor. No one except the editors at Arizona
Highways thought 4x5 was necessary to print one of their little
magazine pages.

Some of the pros on the Nikon forums have been frank about resizing
their 5MP D1X files up to the 14MP(Canon 1Ds) that some publications
have made their arbitrary digital quality minimum and sold their
images and had them published with no problem. I think that the
reason is that no editor looks at the file at 100 percent, but at the
size it will be on the page and at that size there is no difference
between 5MP, or 14 or 150.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA