[OM] Re: Olympus cameras etc in Australia (ends up long)

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus cameras etc in Australia (ends up long)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:19:02 +1200
Hi all

AG wrote
>  #2.
> Sales are lagging there as a result of not having the adaptor
> and Olympus Japan has taken notice.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't think any of the Olympus organizations
> are that bright for it to be #2.

I can say from first hand experience that Oly Japan knows what is going on,
and are very nice people to their customers. More I can not say.

Who knows why sales might be lagging?
I know "my" shop didn't have an E-1 on the shelves until the discount models
arrived, even though they are on their on-line catalogue.

So would-be customers could not even put one in their hands. Price might be
a factor there - the canny shop owner maybe thought that at the price he
should list them for, none would sell. They had several Oly digicam models
on their shelves, but no Oly DSLR.

In my opinion, there are very few OM users left in this city, so the adapter is
probably not an attraction. Recently I asked a long-time friend what he
thought of OMs, and for him they were too small to feel comfortable with - a
matter at least of hand size. Minolta was his choice. Also, too light, he said.
I think OMs have been in the minority here.

And now that I am wandering OT, here are a couple of other gems of opinion
/ observation.

I had to assist a fellow committee member of the local residents'
organisation with a problem with the local council, so I also used the chat
time to show her my favourite prints (8 x 12s). She said that she couldn't
take photos. But after a while she plucked up courage and said she'd bring
out an envelope or two of her prints. They were all 4x6, as could be
expected. However; they really were *tack sharp*, and exposures were right
on the button. Done on a Fuji Frontier machine. Hand-held shots, and if I had
had some that good, I'd be very pleased indeed. Especially a few years ago I
would have been over the moon. So I told her so. Camera?  A P*n*a* with
manual lenses as far as I can tell. Some are clearly tele shots and she said
she has two lenses. Don't know yet which model, but she is able to switch
between auto and manual.  She just has to learn some technique.

Secondly, when my son was at high school, I worked there for 6 months or
so. They had class and team photos, and I saw the results.  They were
pretty sharp considering what was being asked of the gear - enlargements.  I
also saw the photographer when he came in for a cup of coffee at break. His
camera? A P* K1000.  Before I saw the prints, I wondered why he didn't use
Medium Format. After seeing the prints, the answer clearly was, for the
uninformed consumer, *his* 35mm did an adequate job.

I think that for OMs, vibration has been the unsolved bugbear. Mostly
unsolved - and for me it would still be unsolved were it not for the tests done
and put on the 'net by Gary Reece; and for the information so freely given in
this group - all of which has made a huge difference to my enjoyment of
photography.  I'm glad to note that the E that I have seems to be essentially
vibration-free.

Brian