[OM] Re: Good Vibrations (Was: Olympus cameras etc in Australia)

Subject: [OM] Re: Good Vibrations (Was: Olympus cameras etc in Australia)
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 10:06:43 -0500
At 01:55 PM 7/30/2005 +0000, you wrote:
>I think the difference may be that the mechanism that shuts down the lens
>in an OM body moves in a rotary motion perpendicular to the direction the
>camera is aimed,  resulting in a twisting force, while in the Pentax, the
>movement is straight ahead, parallel to the direction the camera is
>pointed, thereby reducing any effect possibly caused by vibration.  Makes
>sense to me, and although it will be considered blasphemy by many here, I
>think it's a design flaw in the OMs.

It's not desirable, but it appears that Olympus was aware of it in
prescribing its official advice of not using cable releases for shots in
the critical range of speeds affected by the shutter shudders but dampening
with the hands and squeezing off shots carefully.

The timer feature on OM-2S and OM-4 solves the problem, if actual timing is
not critical.  I think with the OM-1 it was particularly galling to
discover that MLU really offers no improvement in shutter shudders and is
basically irrelevant to the cause.  But in all cases learning and using the
technique Olympus recommends vastly improves the result.  It actually makes
some aspects of shooting easier too.  I often don't clamp my tripod head
down and do minor focusing and compositional tweaks before squeezing off
the shot.

FWIW I discovered the same shutter shudders in my Nikorn manual focus
cameras, but the timer is a little easier to use on those cameras for
short-duration, MLU shooting, and the only Oly offering anything comparable
is the OM2000, which is sort of any OM-clad Nikorn FM10 knock-off anyway.

Joel W.