[OM] Re: More on digital vs. film by one of the Landscape masters

Subject: [OM] Re: More on digital vs. film by one of the Landscape masters
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:31:22 -0700 (PDT)
> A lot of his rationale for going digital was convenience.  He
> needs to get new images to his website quickly.

And if the website is a very important source of revenue and
timeliness of delivery is a factor, I would suggest that this is
reason alone for transitioning to digital capture.

> In another article on Luminous Landscape published in 2001, he
> defended 4x5 as the ideal format.

Except for the previous point, it probably still is--if large
prints are a very important source of revenue and turnaround
time isn't extremely demanding.  Give him a couple more months
and you'll see an article from him about how to somehow get a
barely acceptable parallax correction or how to do a panoramic.

> Granted four years have passed, which is an
> eon in digital terms.  But I wonder what his next "perfect"
> camera will be.

Chances are it doesn't exist yet.  Probably a full-size sensor
to fit the 4x5.  Who cares about ISO 12800 performance--just
give me a clean ISO 100 with 20 stops of latitude.

> He makes a living at it, I don't, so he can afford to
> change platforms far more rapidly than I.

If it means opening up new revenue streams or increasing the
number of available prints for sale, it would probably have a
decent ROI.  If it's just a technology change, that's another
story.

> I don't think I've gotten the most
> out of my 35mm gear, much less my 4x5.

Who among us has?