[OM] Re: OM's and vibration, was: Re: Olympus cameras etc in Australia

Subject: [OM] Re: OM's and vibration, was: Re: Olympus cameras etc in Australia
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:33:27 +1200
Hi all

> Manuel Viet wrote:
>
> > Le samedi 30 Juillet 2005 13:19, Brian Swale a écrit :
> >
> >>I think that for OMs, vibration has been the unsolved bugbear. Mostly
> >>unsolved - and for me it would still be unsolved were it not for the tests
> >>done and put on the 'net by Gary Reece; and for the information so freely
> >>given in this group - all of which has made a huge difference to my
> >>enjoyment
> >>of photography.
> >

> > Could someone please expand a bit on that topic ? A while ago, I've been
> > responsible for a wet lab activity in a college, and we had a Pentax K1000
> > for
> > 15 students, so I generaly let them use my own OM-1 as well to speed up the
> > turnover a bit. Clearly, while pentax pictures were "good enough", OM pics
> > were always a bit sharper. So I'm wondering under which circumstances that
> > vibration "bug" would show ; maybe on landscape pictures, tripod mounted,
> > long
> > exposures ? But then, why would so many astrophotographers give an arm and a
> > leg to get an OM today ? I'm confused.

> I think most of what is known on the subject of OM vibration emanates
> from Gary Reese's extensive lens testing here:
> <http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm>
>
> Gary eventually realized that vibration with certain bodies and lenses
> was signfificantly impacting performance.  In fact, many lenses, when
> retested using methods to reduce body induced vibration, showed much
> better performance than the initial testing.  This probably happens with
> many other brands of camera bodies as well but you won't find it
> documented as you do here.

I'm pretty sure that Gary wrote in the last 12 - 18 months, that if he were to
contemplate doing this marathon set of tests again, he'd eliminate the
shutter / aperture / mirror effects by setting the gear up, closing out all
light,
and illuminating the target with flash.

That way the "lens alone"  would be tested; but one could say this would be
a little academic since in use, the lens has to be attached to a camera body.
However, I for one would like to see the results from testing some lenses this
way versus attached to an OM body, so one would know the goal to aim for.

Brian