[OM] Re: Ok, so it was a little hyperbole

Subject: [OM] Re: Ok, so it was a little hyperbole
From: Earl Dunbar <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 07:11:00 -0400
Thanks, Bill; that gives me a very basic understanding of how a drum
scanner differes from what we mere mortals would buy.  Knowing it is
based on a tube (valve) explains why it is superior... lots of us old
farts know tubes/valves rule! :-D

I posed my question about desktop scanners not having as good dynamic
range as DSLR sensors to my optical engineer friend.  (Gene works for a
division of Kodak that was recently spun off and purchased by ITT.  He
is working on a team developing the next generation Hubble telescope.)
He really didn't know why, as basically the technology is the same.  He
suspects that it's a case of the market and economics not being on the
radar of product management.

Earl