[OM] Re: Discounted E-1s in my city ( OT )

Subject: [OM] Re: Discounted E-1s in my city ( OT )
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:05:26 +0100
Take care with Parcelforce, Chris.  They have a new policy regarding
collection of duty/VAT on imported items, such that their drivers are no
longer permitted to collect the duty.  The items are customs cleared (in
Coventry or London) then sent to your local Parcelforce depot, whence a
letter is sent to you to advise the amount you have to pay (in person, or by
phone with a credit card).  When they have the fees paid, they will put your
package out for delivery.  It adds four days to the delivery time if you are
quick to respond to their letter.  Alternatively, since in my experience, it
is almost impossible to get through by phone (it's not a call centre but a
phone on the enquiry counter at the depot), it's a 40 mile round trip to the
depot, but at least you collect your package.

Oh, yes, another thing - if it is a tracked item, it will show as "deliverey
attempted" as soon as the letter is sent by Parcelforce.

Don't bother trying to complain, they only have automated phone systems, and
if you email, you get the reply: "I apologise for the delay in replying to
your email.  I note from our records that you have now taken delivery of
this item, so I trust everything is now resolved."

By the way, Parcelforce is owned by Royal Mail Group.

--
Piers