[OM] Re: Confession time...

Subject: [OM] Re: Confession time...
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:10:56 -0700
It was me you quoted and I provided a link to a comparison in which
the Canon was subtantially better in almost every way than the
Lumicon medium format back.  I chose a Nikon D100 over a Canon
because of my personal take on ergonomics before there was an E-1. I
see the plastic refrain all the time especially on Nikon forums, but
when I have wandered on the Canon forum I see beautiful pictures too.
And most of what we see in news magazines and sports magazines are
taken with Canon digital and not much plastic in sight. Even side by
sides I have seen between Canon other cameras yield no plastic
images. I don't see it in the pictures taken by Phil Askey in his
reviews, even at 100 percent. Lastly, several people on this list
have shown beautiful Canon images taken with their OM lenses.  I
think the criticism should probably be aimed at people who buy
everything including things like Noise Ninja and Neat Image and use
them inappropriately.

Since the digital tsunami hit, just about everyone on the list has
gotten some sort of digital camera and many feel some fondness for
them whether they are made by Olympus, Konica-Minolta, Nikon, Canon
(lots of those because of the adaptor that takes OM lenses), or
whatever. Being exceptionally critical of a particular make is bound
to offend any number of people on the list. I don't really think any
of these new cameras are bad, even though a person may prefer a
particular model or make for one reason or another. Can't we like
something without knocking someone else?

As for Canon sensors, they are several generations along. They saw
technical advantages in CMOS that no one else did and they are miles
ahead of the Fill Factor sensor that was used in the Kodak 14N or the
Nikon LBCAST sensor in the D2H. Fuji's new CCD design may be a
challenge in a DSLR in the future, but who knows? Considering the
high pixel density the jointly designed Sony-Nikon sensor in the D2X
is the first real challenge.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA