[OM] Re: OT Web Design

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Web Design
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 09:16:06 -0300
On 8/2/05, David Carter <spotz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A friend at work, has noticed that html coded sites load fastest & java
> slowest.
> Over broadband
>
> David

Yep, with Java you have to wait for the whole program to download and
then it gets executed on your machine. With html your browser can
usually start displaying the page before it's completed downloading
the other elements.

Related to this, I'd like to point out that it's a really good idea to
specify the height and width for for elements that have a fixed height
and width (such as images). This can really enhance the perceived
speed of your site. The reason for this is that the browser needs to
know the size of the elements before it can render the page. You
particularly run into problems when you're doing your layout as a
table because the browser usually can't render any of the table until
it knows the size of all the elements. This gets to be even more
important when you're pulling in information from another site. I've
visited a lot of sites that have a banner ad coming from an external
site and don't have the height and width set for the ad so you end up
waiting for that ad to load before the page can display. Another
example I ran into was the ISP I used to work for had weather
informaton pulled in from a different site, sometimes that site would
go down and our homepage would take forever to load (which would
generate tons of calls for us at the support line). If you set the
proper height and width you avoid this because the browser will just
"reserve" the space for that element and can display the rest of the
page no problem.