[OM] Re: Film scanners?

Subject: [OM] Re: Film scanners?
From: <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 23:56:39 -0500
> Anyone really happy with a film scanner? I've been thinking that I
> may go the "digital darkroom" route long before I consider giving up
> film and I notice that film is SO dead that almost all the scanner
> reviews I'm reading are several years old.
I have two, the Epson 4870, and the Minolta 5400. I got the Epson for two
reasons. First, I do have a need for a flatbed reflective scanner, and
second, for scanning Xpan and 6x6. It's good for the price. Useless for 35,
it gives OK scans for 6x6 and the Xpan. I got the Doug Fisher holder and ANR
glass, and it follow in the scanner's footsteps as a bargain.

I finally got the Minolta about two months ago. After reading about the
change in light sources and some questions about the 5400II build quality, I
searched for the original. It looked like the end of desktop scanners would
come before the filling of my wallet. I really wanted the Minolta Multi Pro,
but at that time it was two grand when available. I'm quite pleased with the
results. Some tests report that it really doesn't get 5400 ppi, but whatever
it does, it looks good to me.

Wouldn't you know it, but it now looks like I will come into a bit of change
sometime after the first of the year. I would still like a film scanner for
6x6 and Xpan. I will consider the Microtek then, as it looks like the
Minolta is gone for good.

I got the 5400 from Amazon, and they still had it listed last week.
Certainly no one else does.

Bill Pearce