[OM] Re: Now OT: (was Olympus DSLR from NZ)

Subject: [OM] Re: Now OT: (was Olympus DSLR from NZ)
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 07:16:33 -0700 (PDT)
> How have you Mazda-philes taken the latest generation RX? That
> last 7 was a work of art, IMO. The 8 makes me flinch...

It reminds me of my 2nd Gen convertable:  Underpowered and
heavy.  The handling is VERY good and it handles a four wheel
drift as well as anything out there.  It's not twitchy and is
well mannered for daily driving.  While the suspension appears
about stiff enough, the shocks aren't quite there.  It's like
the car is tuned for a different weight.  Anybody doing anything
serious with any RX car always makes changes to the suspension
anyway with adjustable shocks.  Whatever you do, you've always
got to fight the mid-engine characteristic of having the
rear-end kick out in a most unfriendly manner. A BMW it aint.
Much more like a Ferrari in this regard.

As to appearance?  Well, that's pretty subjective.  I really
like the yellow ones, but they desperately need to bring back
the 1991 Red.  I'm hoping that they come out with a turbocharged
version of the engine (Low 200 HP is unacceptable--especially
with a torqueless motor) and a convertable, as well as losing
those dorky doors. The car has to be off the showroom floor with
300 HP to be taken seriously.

How does it fit?  WOW!  I'm 6'4" and the car is a comfy as
anything ever made.  Every control is exactly where I want it.

A 1991 Red Convertable (or white or black) is on my short list.
In the USA, we didn't get the turbo convertables (I believe they
were only available in right-hand drive), but I know of people
who have modded the convertables with the engines from the 2nd
Gen Turbo.  Between that and a serious weight reduction program
and an upgraded suspension, the 2nd Gen convertable is a serious
buggy.

Yes, I'd even consider doing a restoration provided the frame is
straight as an arrow and the suspension good.  Actually,
"restoration" wouldn't be the right term as I'd upgrade
everything possible to make it zing.  Might have to do something
about a roll-bar, though.

With upgraded fuel pumps, turbo, intakes and exhaust the Mazda
engine is a "flame-thrower".  Litterally.  Throw a nitro system
on there and the flames really get impressive. Especially, when
you're pushing 10,000+ RPM.

For the sake of domestic tranquility, though, I'll be fortunate
to just get a normally-asperated weenie-mobile.

Back to regularily scheduled programming now.  Sorry about the
rabbit trail.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com