[OM] Re: OT/non-OM Olympus use

Subject: [OM] Re: OT/non-OM Olympus use
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 02:19:28 -0700
Wayne Harridge wrote:

>Wonderful effect in those shots.  How do I modify a 50/1.8 to duplicate that
>effect ?

1. Vaseline is a traditional approach, applied to a skylight filter.
With an early 50/1.8, You might want to try it directly on front and/or
rear elements. Some squiggles with a marking pen on the other side of
the filter might help too.

2. A dedicated soft lens, like the old SIMA
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/SIMA/> or the new Lens Baby, with the
flexible body, although I it is overpriced.

3. The home made solution. A plus 10 close-up lens mounted on a tube of
your design, maybe a couple of plastic tubes that slide together for
focusing, makes a nice 100mm soft focus lens with lots of nice CA. You
can make waterhouse stops to adjust the amount of DOF. That's how the
SIMA and Lens Baby do it. The diameter of the close-up lens determines
the focal length. 55mm would be about f1.8 (100/55).

Moose