[OM] Re: 3 pics/cedar canoe OT

Subject: [OM] Re: 3 pics/cedar canoe OT
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 09:38:34 -0300

> Canoes made on a form with cedar ribs and cedar strips are "normally"
> covered with canvas, though they can also be epoxied.  My 15' boat was
> made by Will Ruch, (http://ruch.wcha.org/) who has recently moved from
> Muskoka to Bancroft.  Mine was about 52 lbs, so is pretty light for its
> size.

Dad has a cedar rib canvas canoe made by Miller canoes,
http://millercanoes.ca/ . His is a 22 foot canoe, with a square back for use
with a motor. He used to fish salmon in the rivers here in NB, and had a 6
hp outboard to push it along. But it was a pretty heavy canoe, probably over
40 inches wide in the middle, and definitely not made for paddling. He is 81
now, definitely not well, and his canoe probably hasn't seen water for
several years.

> Best all around?  Oooh, I won't go there.  Paddlers can get as intense
> on that subject as photographers get over digital vs. film!  I'll just
> say that I paddled lots of canoes before making my final decision, so I
> guess mine is best all around for me.  ;-)
>
> Earl

Ha! Yes that was a pretty ridiculous and bold statement on my part. What was
I thinking? I should have known there would be experienced canoeists on this
list :-) When I was thinking best all round, I was thinking in terms of
durability for those who might want to let their kids play with the thing on
the rocks, or who leave it outside in the sun and weather year round, etc.
Best all round for what purpose, Right?

I built mine for paddling, not motors, and copied the design of a "White"
canoe, which was quite a famous design years ago for those who ran rivers in
Maine. It is an 18 foot canoe, with no rocker, so it handles pretty nice for
running a river that doesn't have too much white water. That's what I wanted
it for. I used to take my older sons (now grown) on 2 or 3 day camping trips
with it where we would run a river here in NB, so we needed something that
would hold a bunch of gear and 2 people, and yet would paddle easy. We
certainly weren't experts, but for a short speed race we could always beat
the other guys we travelled with, who mostly had the factory canoes. Ours
just plain paddled easier, especially when they were loaded heavy, it had
nothing to do with our ability to race the thing.

A 15 foot one like yours would be way nicer for canoeing alone. Mine is
pretty useless for that.

Here is a shot I took yesterday of a couple and their 2 children who were
visiting with us, and took mine out for a little paddle in the river. This
is just as they were in the marsh behind our house, that connects to the
Magaguadavic River.
Wayne