[OM] Re: Pinhole conversion

Subject: [OM] Re: Pinhole conversion
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 15:29:43 +0000
I suggested buying a ready-made pinhole contraption because of my own
experience with DIY projects over many, many years.  Before I undertake any
project, unless it is an emergency -- like patching the roof if a meteorite
crashes through in the middle of a rainstorm -- I require as a prerequisite a
resoundingly affirmative answer to three questions:

(1) Is it a project I will enjoy doing?

(2) Do I have, or can I obtain, the appropriate materials?

(3) Do I have the proper tools to accomplish the task?

If the answer to any one of these questions is "no," then forget it; I'll
either buy one, hire somebody, or do without.

In the case of making a pinhole for an OM camera equivalent to the f/180
store-bought version, with a clean, round hole with properly crisp edges, I
would need an OM body cap.  Okay, got many.  I would also have to have a piece
of stainless steel, or some other metal, .001 in. thick.  Now, where do I get
that?  Next, I would need either a laser, which is out of the question, or a
drill bit .011 in diameter.  Taking a look in my tool chest, I find I have
drill bits all the way down to .040, but nothing smaller.

This is all I need to know to convince me that, assuming I had any interest at
all in pinhole photography, which I don't, I would be inclined to spend a few
dollars for the commercial version instead of foraging for materials and
equipment and then cussing for two hours in the workshop.

Of course, since the object is to make fuzzy photographs, I suppose it doesn't
really matter if the hole is round, square or oblong, particularly if one
enjoys similarly primitive technology and looks at the results by firelight in
the log cabin after coming back in from the outhouse.  :-)

Since pinhole photography doesn't interest me, I know I should've stayed out of
this, but it's raining again, and I'm stuck indoors, and I'm bored.  Is the E-1
really waterproof?  I may find out in a few minutes.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --