[OM] Re: Film scanners?

Subject: [OM] Re: Film scanners?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 01:58:41 -0700
R. Jackson wrote:

>Anyone really happy with a film scanner? I've been thinking that I
>may go the "digital darkroom" route long before I consider giving up
>film and I notice that film is SO dead that almost all the scanner
>reviews I'm reading are several years old.

The vast majority of the film shots in my web galleries were scanned
with the Canon FS2710. It is really a very capable scanner and 2700 dpi
is really all that is needed for most purposes. Easily good for 12x18
prints.

I'm now using an FS4000. For many films, and the majority of my older
slides and negs, the additional resolution doesn't mean much, but I
didn't expect it to. The big advantages are hardware dust removal
(called FARE, rather than ICE, but same effect) and the ability to
automatically scan 4 mounted slides or a strip of six frames at once.
The disadvantage is that the files are a lot larger if, like me, you
can't resist scanning at full resolution. I settled on the FS4000 after
a lot of research and am happy with my choice, but the FS2710 is cheaper
and more readily available and fine for occasional scanning

FS2710 requires SCSI and comes with a card for PCs. FS4000 has USB 1.1
and SCSI, but no card included. I'm using it with an Adaptec SCSI card.
I don't know anything about the Canon software; I have used only VueScan.

Moose