[OM] Re: SOLVED! (was Repairing sticky lens aperture?)

Subject: [OM] Re: SOLVED! (was Repairing sticky lens aperture?)
From: Philip Pemberton <philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 23:15:25 +0100
In message <42F91DDE.2090506@xxxxxxxxxxx>
          Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey, great news!  Now the next question.  Where did the foam come from?

I haven't got a clue. Looks like it had been there for a while though. I've
only had the lens since '97ish and the first thing I did was buy a cap to
cover the mount. Seeing as it was second-hand to begin with (and not in
particularly bad shape aside from the now-mostly-resolved aperture issue) I
would be inclined to think it was put on a very badly damaged camera (perhaps
one in need of new foam, but I don't think any of the OMs have foam in the
lens mounting area). That or it was oily sand, but it seemed to clump
together like foam...

Anyway, it's been cleaned with Isopropyl, I now know how the back section
fits together and I'm never pulling a zoom lens apart again unless it's
utterly wrecked (to the point where anything I do to it can't make it any
worse)!

Nice to have my 80-200 back in service though. It's not a Zuiko, but it's
still a nice lens.

Later.
--
Phil.                              | Acorn RiscPC600 SA220 64MB+6GB 100baseT
philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx              | Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxe R2 512MB+100GB