[OM] New toy

Subject: [OM] New toy
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 20:52:35 -0300
Well my new scanner has finally arrived. I went for the Canon 9950F as
it seems to have pretty good 35mm handling as well as the ability to
go up to 4x5.

So far still learning the ropes. I'm not impressed with the Canon
scanning software but that's no great surprise. Unfortunately, I'm not
getting good results at all with Vuescan yet. Mostly it seems to be
getting things tweaked properly for the cropping on multiple frames.
It seems to really throw off the colour adjustments if you catch any
of the film holder in any of the selections. If previous experience is
any indicator, it'll take a bit of tweaking of the settings before I
can get good results out of Vuescan but once it's there it will be
well worth the effort.

One odd thing I'm noticing is a lot of noise in the shadows when using
Vuescan, it's not there with the Canon software. But again, that's
like just a setting of mine that's off.